[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 20:58:14 UTC 2007

On 6/16/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's one thing to say that we should block Tor, particularly not
> having admins coming in that way.  I don't disagree with that
> statement.
>
> Using that to torpedo someone's RFA is a very different thing.  Prior
> use of Tor does not an abuser make.

All any admin candidate has to do is either make prior arrangements
(e.g. disclose his IP/location to the ArbCom, explain the special
circumstances), or answer any question that arises during the RfA,
even if only by e-mail. The latest candidate did neither.

If people edit in violation of policies, they have to anticipate
getting found out, and they can't insist it be done at their
convenience.

> We clearly don't have a policy of blocking everyone who's found to
> have arrived at Wikipedia via a Tor IP at some point.

The IPs are blocked.

> If being able to identify admins is that important, we should consider
> if the OTRS show-the-foundation-your-ID should be extended to normal
> admins.

As I said earlier, that provides no security because anyone could fax
a copy of a friend's ID instead. The only thing that tends to pin
someone down is their IP address. There are ways around that, to be
sure, for the technically savvy. But most people aren't.