[WikiEN-l] [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sat Jun 16 17:39:29 UTC 2007

G'day Andrew,

> On 15/06/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> You're joking, surely.  We should probably courtesy-blank all AfDs of
>>> living people, successful or not.  These are real people.  This stuff
>>> hurts.
>> We've never done it before, and I don't think anyone's tried to make
>> a coherent case for why we should do so on BLP incident AFDs.
>
> We have been doing it, on an ad-hoc basis, for a year or so -
> generally after a complaint. It tends to be low-profile, because
> no-one ever watches archived deletion discussion pages so no-one
> notices...

We've been doing it since at least mid-February 2006, although the exact
date that Jimbo proposed it eludes me (I dare say it was sometime in
late January or early February).

Courtesy blanking of AfDs and other places where living persons are
commonly abused is, I had thought, not a controversial prospect.  If
someone wants to blink their eyes against the harsh light of reason and
say, "Gosh, why would anyone want to do THAT?  You must stop immediately
until I am satisfied," after we've been at it for the past 16 months,
then it's their problem, not ours.

<snip recount of what led to courtesy blanking and afd-privacy/>

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten