[WikiEN-l] I'm disappointed in Wikipedia.

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Jun 16 13:41:16 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, The Mangoe <the.mangoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/07, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Saying all university presidents are notable is just the first step
> > towards a sane policy, and one which has i think been taken--saying
> > all research university full professors are notable has also been
> > consistently maintained at AfD. There are some things about which
> > consensus does form in a sensible direction.
>
> Well, if everyone in a certain position is notable, then we could go
> forth and say that all positions are notable.

And we'd be finally approaching a reasonable solution to the question
of notability: If they are the subject of multiple reliable third
party sources, then they're notable; position is irrelevant.

> At any rate, there are
> some 1400 tenure and tenure-track faculty at UMD. Harvard has more.
> That makes hundreds of thousands "notable", just counting present
> faculty; the dead of course hugely outnumber them. The survival of the
> project relies upon the lack of interest most people have in entering
> these directories (for that is what they will largely be).

Are you suggesting that the project won't survive with 1400 additional
entries?  If so, I have to disagree.