[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Blu Aardvark jeffrey.latham at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 02:55:27 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:
> I think the important point is that it's a violation of policy to edit
> with open proxies, so it's a bit rich for an editor to ask to become
> an admin, who'll be able to block others for policy violations, while
> violating it themselves every single time they edit. If they want to
> change the policy, they should try to do that openly before standing.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the consensus for the longest
time that there was no problem with people using proxies so long as the
proxies weren't being used abusively? I mean, [[Wikipedia:Advice to Tor
users in China]] used to recommend using tor, but cautioned that nodes
would often be blocked. When soft-blocking was enabled, there was a
massive consensus to lighten the blocks on Tor to enable good-faith
editors to contribute that way.

I'm relatively sure that even Jimbo himself has stated that he doesn't
have a problem with users editing through proxies as long as they are
doing so in good faith.

Why then, are we making a big deal over an outdated policy page on meta
that clearly is not supported by practice, policy, or basic common sense
on the English Wikipedia?