[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Sat Jun 16 01:47:15 UTC 2007

Jayjg wrote:

> Wikipedia isn't a whole bunch of things, including a court of law.
> Not even
> the ArbCom.

Which is why Wikipedia should be LESS dogmatically officious about
enforcing rules-for-rules-sake than an actual court of law. In this
case, Jayjg's behavior seems to have been MORE officious than the
actual legal system.

I know some police and other people who work within the actual legal
system. Real cops and judges know that they don't have to enforce
every law on the books. They use discretion. If the police notice
that someone has a broken tail light or an expired driver's license,
they may just issue a warning and tell the guy to get it fixed. On
the other hand, if they suspect that the guy is guilty of more
serious crimes, they may choose to maximally enforce and investigate
the minor infractions as a tactic to facililtate investigation and
prosecution of the more serious crimes.

In this case, we're talking about a user (CharlotteWeb) who seems to
have a long history of constructive editing, and no evidence that she
is a vandal or a sockpuppet. The fact that sockpuppets use Tor does
not mean that using Tor proves she is a sockpuppet. (Elementary logic
lesson: "a implies b" does not mean that "b implies a.") In the
absence of other evidence that CharlotteWebb is a problem user,
therefore, Jayjg should have used discretion and raised his question
privately rather than publicly in the RfA.