[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 16 01:45:47 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:
> We have issues with users running more than one admin account, and one
> of the ways they're allegedly doing this is by using open proxies.

Allegedly or actually?

> Being able to log an admin's real IP address is the only tiny
> bit of accountability the Foundation has regarding admins.

Wait a minute.  We weren't talking about logging real IP
addresses per se, or accountability in general; we were just
talking about identifying sockpuppets.

If instead of

	Thou shalt not edit (even while logged in) from an
	anonymizer or open proxy

our policy was instead

	If two accounts are suspected of being sockpuppets,
	and one or both uses an anonymizer or open proxy,
	we will assume identity

would the effect be the same?  (As I understand it, currently,
when a checkuser request shows up proxies or other shared IP
addresses, the result is said to be "indeterminate" or some such.)