[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Sat Jun 16 01:30:49 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/07, Kat Walsh <kat at mindspillage.org> wrote:
> > I realize this is a minority opinion and I've been outnumbered on it
> > before, but there it is. If I were not completely open about who I am
> > on this site, and did want to maintain anonymity, I would probably
> > want to be using TOR myself.
>
> Kat, the issue of editing with proxies is different from wanting to be
> an admin and carry on using them.  We have issues with users running
> more than one admin account, and one of the ways they're allegedly
> doing this is by using open proxies. Being able to log an admin's real
> IP address is the only tiny bit of accountability the Foundation has
> regarding admins.

I don't actually think it's very different, editing and being an
admin. Admins do not have much technical power beyond that of ordinary
editors; what they do have could just as easily be abused by someone
editing from a public library, cybercafe, or other public terminal,
and yet we don't ban those accounts from becoming admins.

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising