[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:07:23 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:

> Jayjg wrote:
> > On 6/15/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This policy would not allow a checkuser on CharlotteWebb
> >
> > As explained on the RFA, CharlotteWebb came to my attention while I was
> > investigating other abuses and abusers. His/her name kept showing up on
> the
> > list of editors every time a TOR proxy was involved...
>
> Okay, but part of the trust that's involved in a tool like
> checkuser is *not* paying attention to (let alone revealing)
> stuff you accidentally notice while investigating something else.

Except when it might become relevant to the protection of the project.

If I'm a system administrator who has access to everyone's
> mailbox, for example, and while investigating some mailbox
> corruption I happen to notice a confidential email indicating
> that an acquaintance of mine is screwing his sister-in-law,
> I'm really supposed to keep that to myself.

And what if you happen to notice that someone is using the e-mail system to
send the blueprints of your latest product to your competitor? Are you
supposed to keep that to yourself as well?