[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 23:51:14 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it appropriate for a CheckUser to disclose on someone's RFA the methods
> of *how* they connect to edit Wikipedia? Here, Jayjg disclosed that
> CharlotteWeb edited from Tor previously:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/CharlotteWebb
>
> Specifically:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/CharlotteWebb&diff=prev&oldid=138273593
>
> ":'''6''' Can you explain why you edit using TOR proxies?
> [[User:Jayjg|Jayjg
> ]]<sup><small><font
> 15
> June 2007 (UTC)"
>

> How is he allowed to make such a public disclosure to sink an RFA? Any
> question of whether Jay's actions are inappropriate (if not a violation of
> the Foundation Privacy Policy?) are deflected by SlimVirgin.
>
> Is Jayjg in violation of the Wikipedia Privacy Policy by disclosing this
> affect a Requests for Adminship? He also implies he has similar data on
> others, yet has not acted on them. Sitting on them for the political winds
> to be right?
>
> Regards,
> Joe

Aside from all the other responses in this thread to this rather bizarre
e-mail, I am frankly baffled as to what "political ends" I might be pursuing
in this case. I don't recall "CharlotteWebb" ever expressing a political POV
on anything, and, in fact, I don't recall ever interacting with him/her.

Jay.