[WikiEN-l] We're growing up (was [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jun 15 12:10:03 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> While you bring up athletes...
>
> We currently have a -lot- of permastubs on athletes, especially those
> who played professionally but may not have ever started for anyone. As a
> rule, these articles tend to be very lightly watched (if at all), and I
> would imagine vandalism to one could stay for quite some time.
>
> What would anyone think of merging such things into, say, "List of
> players on the 1999 San Francisco 49ers"? Obviously, we would still have
> separate articles on Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, but we could then put
> the third-stringers and such into a place where it would be more
> watched, less prone to vandalism, and not presented as a full biography
> of the person.
>
> Thoughts?

Besides the fact that it would make the encyclopedia much less useful,
I think there's a good chance it'd have the opposite effect on
vandalism detection compared to what you say.  More edits to a page
makes it harder to go through each one, and an article which is 95%
correct is harder to detect than one which is 50% correct.

IMO there is a big difference between a "short article" and a "stub".
"The community believes that stubs are far from worthless; they are,
rather, the first step articles take on their course to becoming
complete. In other words, they are short or insufficient of
information and require additions to further increase Wikipedia's
resourcefulness."  - from [[Wikipedia:Stub]], back before people came
in and ruined it.

Anthony