[WikiEN-l] We're growing up (was [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:41:11 UTC 2007

On  0, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> scribbled:
> And that point, having been reached, Utterly and irrevocably changes
> the rules for WIkipedia.  Strict proceduralism is a busted flush, too
> rigid ever to be workable.  Elements of the real world enter slowly
> but surely into the formerly insulated world of Wikipedia: real living
> people don't like rubbish being written about them, obscure real
> living people who are involved in a nine day wonder or silly season
> story don't get memorialized.  Victims of internet memes aren't to be
> victimized further here.
>
> This is a big change, and I'm not surprised that many people are
> disquieted by it.  We're growing up, ladies and gentlemen. We're
> growing up.

It's easy to defend using simplistic quotes.

Why is growing up so good? It means we are dourer, slower, more close-minded, closer to the grave & closer to shutting up and sclerotifying. It is in youth our great works are accomplished.

"To grow older is to grow more wicked."
"Never trust anyone over 30."

--
Gwern
industrial intelligence H.N.P. SUAEWICS Juiliett Class Submarine Locks qrss loch