[WikiEN-l] [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 20:05:14 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Deletion policy lets closers disregard particular arguments "not made
> in good faith," and to "use their best judgement...to determine when a
> rough consensus has been reached." I don't think either statement
> covers this case.  I'm too new an admin & editor  to feel comfortable
> proposing a desysop--and it might not be fair, because there were
> other recent arbitrary single-handed actions taken by individual
> initiative.

Desysopping A Man in Black for stepping forward to wrestle with this
octopus would be absurd. He's proposed a solution that will put an end
to the drama, so long as everyone behaves sensibly and the article(s)
are written properly.

The problem doesn't lie with the procedure for closing, but with the
fact that we allow anyone, almost certainly including people with
multiple accounts, to have an equal say in deciding matters of
importance to the project. It's one thing to be the encyclopedia that
anyone can edit, but it's another to be a top-ten website that anyone
of any age determines the direction of, even if it includes running
over a cliff like a bunch of lemmings.

At some point, we'll have to face that allowing any account, even a
very recent one, to take part in policy discussions, BLP issues, and
important AfDs is editorial, moral, and legal folly.