[WikiEN-l] Thoughts on naming people - article content, this time.

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jun 14 16:26:25 UTC 2007

G'day Tony,

> "Paris, France" is also a bit pedantic.  When we refer to Paris in
> normal speech, the French capital is assumed.  For less prominent
> place names, the country or state name helps to jog the memory and
> remove ambiguity.

Tony Sidaway (born 1873) is a French actor.  He is best-known today for
his role in /They're Old Hat/, as the sexy manager of the boy band The
Flailing Hairnets.

Sidaway was born in Paris, France, at the tender age of twenty three.
He climbed to fame doing commercials for the Eiffel Tower.  In 1921 he
earned the Nobel Prize for nude mountaineering, becoming the first
redhead to do so.  Blah blah blah blah ...

=====

Tony Sidaway (born 1873) is an actor.  He is best-known today for his
role in /They're Old Hat/, as the sexy manager of the boy band The
Flailing Hairnets.

Sidaway was born in San Francisco, at the tender age of twenty three.
He climbed to fame doing commercials for the Statue of Liberty.  In 1921
he earned the Nobel Prize for nude mountaineering, becoming the first
redhead to do so.  Blah blah blah blah ...

My point is: spot the difference.  Personally, I'll take the top one
every time; the Pope is Catholic.  I'm interested to know why, however,
it's always just actor and San Francisco, but Russian actor and Moscow.

--
Mark Gallagher
"'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten