[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

The Mangoe the.mangoe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:26:23 UTC 2007

An addendum:

There comes a point at which I throw up my hands at trying to follow
all the machinations of sockpuppetry, aliases, joe jobs, etc. Life is
too short, and I don't know that the detail is that revealing. But it
is clear that everyone significantly involved in the "attack sites"
controversy understands that at some level the anonymity of editors is
a convenient fiction. Too many people come Wikipedia with an axe to
grind, if nothing else. But also we see the curious use of
sockpuppetry accusations not to prevent people from presenting
multiple copies of themselves in (non-)votes, but to prevent specific
real people from editing. Upon a little reflection I'm more concerned
about cliqueishness than about identity, which I suppose plays into my
prior determination that it doesn't matter whether the Cabal(tm)
members know each other In Real Life.

At this stage in the internet game, the only real protection for one's
real identity is not to play. I'm simply not convinced that making the
trip to the "revelations" on WR more indirect is much of an
accomplishment. Right now it's raising the awareness that they are out
there to be found.