[WikiEN-l] CSD A7, hilarity ensues

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jun 11 19:37:04 UTC 2007

On 6/11/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:
> > If you have to do any interpreting, why are you speedying it in the first
> > place?
>
> Exactly; speedy deletion criteria are supposed to be cut and dried.
> If there is an assertion of notability, it can't be speedied.
>
> Anthony, where did you get the text above?

Which text?  "A topic is presumed to be notable if it has received
significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the
subject."?  That's from [[Wikipedia:Notability]].

> I certainly was not from
> [[Wikipedia:Criteria for speedy deletion]], which states:
>
> 7. Unremarkable people, groups, companies and web content. An article
> about a real person, group of people, band, club, company, or web
> content that does not assert the importance or significance of its
> subject. If controversial, or if there has been a previous AfD that
> resulted in the article being kept, the article should be nominated
> for AfD instead.

That's even worse, as "importance or significance" is even less well
defined than "notability".

> It's quite common, although not actually supported by the criteria, to
> speedy delete articles where the claim to importance/significance is
> not credible.  I think that's a bit questionable at times, since we're
> introducing subjectiveness to the procedure.

Isn't "importance or significance" subjective enough?  Or would "Joe
Bob is an important person" qualify as asserting its importance?