[WikiEN-l] GFDL and images

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 11 17:07:26 UTC 2007

Mark Gallagher wrote:

>>K P schreef:
>>

>>Which is a pain, yes. As other people have said, the GFDL is not really
>>a convenient license for wikipedia or images, or anything else really.
>>But it is possible to use GFDL'ed content without bending the rules too
>>much.
>>

>It strikes me that, for those of us who are not Richard Stallman, GFDL
>is quite poor for any purpose you'd care to name.  But we're stuck with
>it, I suppose.

I don't think that there is anything satisfactory in the licensing
regimes.  There probably won't be in the absence of testing in the
courts.  With CC 3.0 being desperate to make allowances for moral
rights, I can't see any resolution coming soon.

There are some very good underlying principles to free licensing, but
trying to reconcile it to an international patchwork intellectual
property laws leaves everybody tied up in knots.  As a result people
tend to lose sight of principles.  Wikipedia, to its disadvantage, tends
to bend over backwards for the sake of being legally compliant; this
often leaves me wondering when it will have the courage to resist
anything.  Resistance should never come recklessly, but there are still
times when it is appropriate.

Ec