[WikiEN-l] Deletionism fails to serve the readers

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 11 16:15:33 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>In the end, we are all both deletionists and inclusionists.  If we did
>not want to include content, we would not be here but we all decide
>that some things are too trivial to have an article, despite the fact
>that they can be verified (the bus stop at the end of my road, for
>example, has at least three separate sources for its existence, but is
>utterly unremarkable in every meaningful respect).
>
>In the differences between personal definitions of what is "too
>trivial" lie the great wars of AfD.

Fair enough, but the lack of patience and social skills by some editors
also plays a big role in this.  If you begin the deletion process for
that bus stop by calling the contributor an idiot or innundating him
with bureaucratic links you are bound to get a negative reaction.  There
then follows a flood of wasted debate.

If there is any expectation that the editor will be around it is worth
starting a personal dialogue.  If he is a flash in the pan who happened
to add something on a momentary impulse and be gone in a short time,
waiting a while to remove trivial but harmless material will help to
avoid the most pointless arguments.

Ec