[WikiEN-l] Aneurysm

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 11 00:58:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 12:43:24PM +0100, the wub wrote:
> Some users license their contributions by placing a statement on their
> user page. However they still have to release them under the GFDL
> also, see [[Wikipedia:Multi-licensing]]. For example I release my
> edits into the public domain: [[User:The wub#Licensing]]. I'd say that
> such a positive statement counts as a release, however a
> misunderstanding of our copyright when submitting an edit probably
> wouldn't.

I wonder whether, at least in some jurisdictions, if it came to a court
case, the court might rule that as our use of open source licenses is so
complex and so confusing, and that the editors have no idea really in
most cases what they are doing, that in reality we are releasing
material into the public domain and that we in general as WP or an
editor in particular can not claim any copyright on anything in WP.

I think I understand them, but I have been involved with open source
code for many years. I am, however, not at all confident, that we could
win, at least some cases, if they actually came to a court. I believe
the only case that has come to court is one relating to the German
Wikipedia. Of course in some cases it would be the person sueing that
lost for the reasons I state. I think it very unlikely indeed for example
that the copyright issues on the Bad Joke and other nonsenese stuff would
ever course us any problem.