[WikiEN-l] GFDL and images

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 00:46:48 UTC 2007

GFDL is at the very best a confusing and not very good license for images.
At worst it is positively prohibitive -- unless you are publishing a large
work as GFDL it is not a good license, and unfortunately most potential
usages of Wikipedia images other than complete ports of Wikipedia don't work
that way.

But this is not news -- people have been advocating using CC-SA-BY for
images for a long time, as it doesn't require stapling an entire copy of a
license to reproduce it in, say, a newspaper or something like that. You
just need to indicate what the license is and maybe provide a URL. Good
enough for me.

Personally I always license mine a CC-SA-BY (always attributing to Commons,
not myself personally) and then include the additional clause that if
someone is using it for educational purposes they can use it without any
conditions at all (basically PD-self). As a result my diagrams get pretty
good representation in course lectures and handouts, which I find pretty
flattering! I also always encourage those who want to use them in somewhat
different licensing arrangements to contact me for other arrangements, and
have gotten about a half-dozen requests to have my images in books and
handouts and other sorts of arrangements -- again pretty flattering! And
well, well within the spirit of the free content movement. And always
linking back to Commons.

FF