[WikiEN-l] GFDL and images

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:09:52 UTC 2007

Would someone please explain to me (I've asked before, so I'm pretty
sure no one can/will, and it won't matter) how the GNU Free
Documentation License can possibly apply to images?  It seems that, by
the words of the license, you have to modify the image itself to
conform to the license, because none of the images have the copyright
attached to them.  Then, once you've attacked the copyright notice,
why the hell would you want to use the image, other than to
demonstrate how it can't possibly be applied to images, in which case
images uploaded under GNUFDLBLAHBLAHBLAH are completely worthless,
because no one else can ever use them except under limited and
crippling conditions.

2. VERBATIM COPYING
You may copy and distribute the Document in any medium, either
commercially or noncommercially, provided that this License, the
copyright notices, and the license notice saying this License applies
to the Document are reproduced in all copies, and that you add no
other conditions whatsoever to those of this License.

So, you copy a tiny image of the Internet and you have to add 3 pages
of licensing text?  That's BS.  It means essentially that for all the
uploaders generosity in uploading the image it can't be used by anyone
else because it can't meet the requirements of the license because
meeting the requirements would destroy the usability of the image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sweetbay1082.jpg

Why are images uploaded under a license that obviously doesn't apply to images?

Is this one of those cases where I should know to just ignore the
title and the words because they mean something else, in which case
the license is meaningless....

KP