[WikiEN-l] yay external links!

Cheney Shill halliburton_shill at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 23:57:32 UTC 2007

--- David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> One problem with commercial links is fairness: do we list
> those of the
> producers who have articles on WP, those who we think
> major in some
> other manner, all the ones we   can find, or all the ones
> who insert
> themselves? I don't have the answer to this--I'm asking
> in the hope of
> some rational basis for deciding. (I've been trying to
> maintain the
> e-book pages and related pages, and there is a continual
> barrage of
> links to both companies who are new to the field and not
> yet notable,
> and to those who are not really in the same ballpark at
> all.)

It seems that applying notability makes a great first step
-  ideally with a strong sampling of reputable/reliable
sources versus fan forums and blogs.  Policy pretty much
takes care of all the questions.  We can't use other
Wikipedia articles as references, so definitely don't base
it on whether or not an article already exists.  It could
be deleted tomorrow or there may not have been one added
yet for a deserving company.

NPOV undue weight takes care of the rest that are, as you
put it, still in the same ballpark.  The problem to keep in
mind and the subject is that Wikipedia has an enormous
impact on search results, regardless of where the link is
placed and even if the link is nothing more than the
address as the associated text.  A site that deserves that
impact should at the very least meet all the minimum policy
requirements for any other content.

~~Pro-Lick
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Halliburton_Shill
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pro-Lick