[WikiEN-l] I'm disappointed in Wikipedia.

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:20:04 UTC 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 9:52 AM, John Lee wrote:

> As I anticipated, the only reason the article was deleted was a
> lack of
> sources. That's perfectly fine.
>
> What's not perfectly fine is how lazy people are when it comes to
> looking
> for sources. I often see quotations tagged with {{fact}} that have
> sources
> readily available on Google (I just select a random phrase from the
> quote,
> plug it in, and the search results nearly always yield something
> useful).
>
> Likewise, http://www.google.com/search?q=Glurge yields more than
> enough
> sources on the phrase's etymology (though that's more for
> Wiktionary) and
> background. Is it really that hard to Google something?

Though in this case I have trouble finding many sources that meet
stringent standards of reliability. 644 unique appearances on Google,
though.

For me, this points to another problem with stringent standards of
reliability. Yeah, we only have 644 independent sources on Google,
none of which may be the most reliable of things. But we're dealing
here with a neologism, and any source that uses the word, regardless
of some ontological notion of reliability, is giving us significant
information. Of course, the most stringent NOR monkeys will still cry
foul over this.

This is, for me, the really disheartening thing about the deletion
debate. If people had approached the subject as reasonable, thinking
editors there would be a really interesting discussion of how best to
source this article. But people approach it as robots and we get
"Delete, neologism."

-Phil