[WikiEN-l] BJAODN restored again

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jun 7 19:25:20 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/6/07, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, I don't have anything against making it a choice. Just that it
> > would be helpful if it were the default. That we act like it's
> > important to credit IP addresses is a sign of a broken policy.
>
> By default we are required to credit everyone. Whether they edit as a
> name or a number is not relevant.

OK, but credit them how?  The GFDL certainly doesn't explicitly say that
giving the IP address which the person used to add the text counts as
crediting them, so you have to admit that there's a bit of reading into the
spirit of the license going on.

An IP address does not identify a person.  As far as I'm concerned it's as
much in compliance with the GFDL as saying "an anonymous contributor".