[WikiEN-l] A narrower concept of boldness

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 07:12:03 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Holding a poll on "Be bold" doesn't strike me as particularly
> productive.  So in the spirit of the guideline, I jumped in and
> rejigged it a bit, retaining the sense of the guideline but not making
> it so one-sided.  Although special considerations do apply to
> templates and categories, these are covered by "don't be reckless", so
> there's no real need to have an artificial division, at least not to
> the extent that we have to say "Be bold in updating article", when
> really the guideline applies, with a very few exceptions which are
> usually fully protected from editing, to every page on the wiki.

I'd like to know why it was ever limited to "updating pages" as that
could be interpreted as dealing with outdated information, and nothing
else... like "creating pages", "significantly rewriting pages",
"removing crap from pages", "FINDING SOURCES for pages", etc.

Sometimes it seems miraculous that we aren't stuck with a useless and
redundant guideline telling us to "be bold in your edits, but only if
your edits are specifically prescribed by the maintenance banner
templates at the top of the page, and only if the placement of the
templates is supported by 2/3 of talk page voters."

—C.W.