[WikiEN-l] Deletionism fails to serve the readers

Annalee Newitz annalee at techsploitation.com
Wed Jun 6 21:20:17 UTC 2007

Who is this "Wired guy" you told? I'm the person who wrote about Sonia
Greene on Wired. Are you talking about me?

If the problem was copyvio, then why were readers redirected to H.P.
Lovecraft? Shouldn't the article have just have been left blank? I
remain convinced that there's something a little heinous about blanking
out a writer's page and then redirecting people to the page of a guy she
was married to for two years. Seems like it doesn't serve the community
very well at all, because it makes it appear that Wikipedia considers
Greene important only because she's an appendage of HP Lovecraft.

Think of it this way: if you found copyvio problems in the page of
William Wordsworth, would you blank it and redirect readers to the page
of his sister Dorothy Wordsworth? Probably not. You'd blank it, list the
reason as copyvio, and hope that somebody would come along and write
something original. That's what should have been done with Sonia Greene too.

Annalee

--
Annalee Newitz

writer: science, technology, pop culture, sex
http://www.techsploitation.com/
*
editor: other
http://www.othermag.org