[WikiEN-l] Bus Uncle

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 7 03:18:38 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> Back when it was Good Articles, shurely? ;-)
>
> Maybe it's time to turn the wheel full circle and have a *third*
> attempt at a lightweight rating structure...

A number of months back, there was a lengthy GA-listed article on a
fictional device from a long-running science fiction series. It was
heavily referenced, and of course due to the nature of the topic a lot
of the citations were for particular episodes of the series. The
template {{cite episode}} was used for these, and for convenience the
templates were all wikilinked to the Wikipedia articles on those
particular episodes.

An editor came along and saw what he thought were dozens of citations
referencing _Wikipedia articles_ rather than referencing the episodes
that those articles were about. Since referencing Wikipedia as a source
is unacceptable and most of the article seemed to be doing that, he went
over to GA and de-listed the article. A simple misunderstanding, should
be easy to just explain what the citations actually referred to and
revert the delisting, right?

No, had to take the article through the whole GA re-listing procedure
all over again. The original de-lister recognized his mistake but by
then it was too late, the gears of the process were grinding away.

Guh. Can we perhaps call it [[Wikipedia:Adequate Articles]] for our
third attempt? Maybe just as how we called Bureaucrats "bureaucrats" to
lessen the mystique, a name like that might stave off the standard creep
for a while longer this time.

Or just implement version flagging and hopefully skip the process bloat
entirely.