[WikiEN-l] Why are veterans so militant of late; The Future. (was Bus Uncle)

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 18:46:26 UTC 2007

John Lee wrote:

> Indeed. I'm not sure if Andrew has the date down right, but some time in
> 2006 seems correct. I remember feeling impressed around the beginning of '06
> that I was still seeing new admins and editors who shared the same
> philosophy and principles of Wikipedians I remember from when I started out
> in '03/'04, but I can't recall having a similar experience since then.

It struck me around that time too - admins and whole projects that had
been active for some time, but of which I was completely unaware, even
though I had 19K articles on my watchlist, and imagined I had something
like a global view of WP development.

I don't know that anybody messed up, it's just that growth outpaced
ability to enculturate. If I'm putting in 30 hrs/week on WP, it's not
plausible that I bump the time up to 60 hrs/week so as to keep up with
newcomers.

Stan