[WikiEN-l] Bus Uncle

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 6 18:26:18 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>>Three people saying that they like an article is not "established
>>consensus".  Moreover, Tony's concerns show that there *isn't* a consensus
>>that this article should be FA.
>>

>Three people saying they like an article *and no-one saying they
>don't* is consensus. Generally, it is only necessary to speak up if
>you disagree with something. Yes-men serve little purpose in consensus
>driven decision making.

To protect a consensus then it is important to make sure that one not
advertise that opinions are being sought. ;-)
I think that your definition of consensus is flexible enough to allow
for the participation of yes-men when it suits your purposes.

>There is a difference between consensus and unanimous assent. One
>person objecting, without discussion, does not destroy consensus.

Yes there is a difference.  Whether a single objector destroys consensus
depends on the circumstances.

Ec