[WikiEN-l] BJAODN restored again

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 17:26:06 UTC 2007

On 6/6/07, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> We would be better off if we added "I agree to be credited as 'a Wikipedia
> contributor' (or collectively as 'various Wikipedia contributors') where
> authorship must be credited under the terms of the GFDL" to the submission
> statement. At least for non-logged-in contributions. Save us a lot of grief.

You're joking, right? How would that differ from allowing the
Foundation to assume copyright of all entries? If you wrote the
article of the century, pretty much by yourself, some how I doubt a
byline of "From Wikipedia, by Wikipedia" wherever it's mirrored would
be satisfactory to you. Not without at least a link to the edit
history.

The actual quality of most users' edits will not rise to that level,
but that is not a factor in copyright status or attribution
requirements, which must be fulfilled unless said edits have been
explicitly released into the public domain, which while quite common
is not the norm. And even with no legal requirement to credit the
author of explicit public domain edits, it is still a polite, ethical
thing to do.

—C.W.