[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as moral tool?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Jun 6 15:25:38 UTC 2007

Hi, Fred. Just to make clear in advance, I'm neither agreeing nor
disagreeing with your positions. I'm more interested in the form of the
argument than the content. Also, I apologize for picking out your
sentences in particular; it's nothing personal, and I'm just using them
as examples of a broader pattern.

Fred Bauder wrote:
> People have a right to live without a spotlight turned on them. [...]

Since people have taken issue with the term "morals", let's see if
changing the approach can help, to looking at "values".

Above, the first bit is valuing privacy. Elsewhere somebody talked about
a right to privacy. This is not a universal position. It varies a fair
bit across cultures. In [[The Transparent Society]], Brin argued that
historically it's a relatively new thing, coming with urbanization and
increased wealth that gives increased space and increased mobility. He
argued further that it's a temporary thing, that cheap surveillance
means ubiquitous surveillance. He suggests that privacy is doomed, and
the choice available now is about what kind of society we want to build
around that.

Now before that triggers 100 replies defending or exploring privacy, let
me plead: don't discuss that now. I already know a lot of people here
value privacy. My point here is that this is a value that some hold
strongly and some not at all. So please: if you can't contain yourself
from talking about privacy right this instant, don't to it in this thread.

A related value that crops up a lot here is that of accepting
pseudonymity. And in fact we go beyond accepting it. A big part of the
motivation for the attack sites policy is to prevent diffusion of
information about leaky pseudonyms. Although in this case it's not cast
as a universal value, in that we don't defend pseudonyms like "Deep
Throat", just ones used on our site.

> The question is whether dissemination of the information is useful or harmful.

That sounds pretty neutral (although "useful" is a value that many in
the world would not put at the top), I think deciding what's harmful is
inevitably going to come back to personal choices about values. There
are a lot of people who believe information on sex should be suppressed.
They believe that information is harmful. But still, we have articles
like [[Cock ring]] and [[Ball gag]]. Is this a question that can be
settled via referring to facts? Or do they just value different things
than we do?

Now let me be clear: I'm not saying we should try to run this place
somehow without having any shared sense of values. I'm not sure it's
possible, and I surely don't want to try. My concern here is the
potential for becoming something different than a neutral provider of
factual information, becoming other than the distillation of what
responsible people have studied responsibly.

I feel like both some recent BLP activity and the proposed "attack
sites" policy take us away from NPOV. They actively suppress factual
information that people can get elsewhere to impose our values on our
readers. Is modern society not sensitive enough to privacy concerns?
Well, we'll cut out names that appear in CNN and on the AP newswire.
Does someone not agree that the Internet's most popular information
source should be run by people who keep their identities secret?
Suppress mention of them.

I'm not saying that these choices are right or wrong. What I'm saying
that I'm worried about us becoming comfortable with arguments of the
form of "We disapprove of X so we shouldn't give our readers the facts,
even if they can look it up on a hundred other sites."

First, I don't see why it would stop with just the current cases. And
second, I think it will inevitably have one of two bad effects on the
community: either unending argument over which values to impose, or the
loss of editors who don't share the particular set of imposed values in
vogue at the moment.

William