[WikiEN-l] Bus Uncle

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 6 13:40:30 UTC 2007

On 6/6/07, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/6/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There is a difference between consensus and unanimous assent. One
> > person objecting, without discussion, does not destroy consensus.
>
> Exactly. Tony has no 'authority' nor the right to single handedly take
> away
> Featured Article status, nor to grant it.

Why not?  It's a wiki.  We give people the 'authority' to single handedly
call articles "stubs", to single handedly claim that an article needs
cleanup, and to single handedly remove those distinctions.

For that matter, it's curiously wrong, isn't it, that any one sole person
> (Raul) gets to be final arbiter of what is and isn't FA quality?

Yes, it is.

Why is
> every other aspect of WP driven upwards from the community, but he is sole
> person there?

Some people thought it was important to have a single person choosing which
articles are featured on the front page.  Those of us who disagreed and
thought that it should instead be chosen by a collaborative process were
outvoted, and conceded.  Mark was named "featured article dictator", then it
was changed to "featured article director", and proceeded to extend his
powers to what they are now.  No one really challenged him, because those of
us who wanted the process to be community pretty much stopped participating
altogether in the whole featured article mess.