[WikiEN-l] A further descent into self-referential idiocy

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jun 6 03:01:49 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> Are we really saying that *because we made up an arbitrary rule
> ourselves*, we get to ignore any form of editorial sense and then
> loudly disclaim responsibility for the result? Do people honestly
> believe that this makes us an encyclopedia? A grand game of nomic over
> what does and doesn't constitute a topic, an endless series of rules
> on who we can and cannot write about, without any attempt to apply
> *judgement* to them? Without any attempt to say - hey, sometimes we
> have to make decisions on things?

Many of us are applying judgment; we just reach the opposite conclusions
in some cases.  I, for one, make the considered judgment that as an
encyclopedia with thorough coverage, we would be remiss in failing to
provide at least a short biography of a person who's received major
coverage (including a front-page story) in large-circulation
newspapers.  Whether she *should* have received such coverage is another
debate, but not one that's my decision, since I don't edit those
newspapers.  I would tend towards no, but then I would say that about
[[Natalee Holloway]] too, and I don't plan to argue for her article to
be deleted either.

-Mark