[WikiEN-l] Solution to BJAODN criss

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 5 22:18:47 UTC 2007

>> http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/documentary-film-program/film/a-fair-y-us=
e-tale

>> A short film explaining the concept of fair use that was cobbled
>> together entirely from clips of Disney movies.
>=20
> That's not a collection of copyrighted works for the sake of it,
> that's using a copyrighted works to illustrate the discussion about
> fair use.

None of which changes the fact that this is a fair use work composed
entirely of copyrighted material, which your previous posting claimed
was not possible. It's a counterexample to your assertion, not a perfect
analogy for BJAODN. Once the notion that it's possible to have a fair
use work composed entirely of copyrighted material is accepted, _then_
we can progress on further quibbling about BJAODN specifically.

>> One could well consider BJAODN as an example of parody, in fact. :)
>=20
> A parody of what? "parody" doesn't just mean something funny. It has
> to be a parody of something, and then you can use that something under
> fair use. BJAODN would have to be a parody of itself for that to work,
> which is obviously nonsense.

I'm suggesting it could be considered a parody of Wikipedia, not of
BJAODN itself.