[WikiEN-l] BJAODN restored again

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 5 09:28:52 UTC 2007

Brock Weller wrote:

>SJ just got all them back up, with the notation to avoid wheel-warring,
>which leads me to think he's not aware of what went one already with the
>pages... *sigh* Seriously, why does anyone care this much one way or the
>other about these?

Your participation in the debate shows that you care this much in your
own way.  Perhaps you might begin by quietly asking yourself that question.

Thank you, SJ?

The most important issue in this dispute has not been the worth of these
pages or the copyright/GFDL issue.  It has been the unilateral action of
an admin who chooses to ignore a substantial contrary body of opinion,
and in the face of clear alternatives that have been presented.

Sometimes admins can and do take unilateral action, and sometimes these
actions are even acceptable.  A good admin, however, has the wisdom to
recognize when those actions provoke needless controversy.  In those
circumstances being "right" is not enough.  So too is being right not
enough when we proceed on a green light while ignoring the speeding
driver that is coming the other way without paying attention to his red
light.

I find the single-minded self-righteousness with which some people want
to perfect the encyclopedia extremely disturbing.  Often it happens in
relation to articles that I find to have dubious value, and in which I
would normally find no interest in participating.  But these situations
come to the top for reasons other than the value of the article.
Someone bases a decision on self-righteousness to the exclusion of any
possible alternatives.  Just like the real world! ... and I thought we
wanted better.

Ec