[WikiEN-l] A further descent into self-referential idiocy

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Tue Jun 5 02:51:15 UTC 2007

I think this incident can be addressed constructively in part by
fleshing out the privacy provisions of BLP. Right now Wikipedia has a
more elaborate privacy policy for Wikipedia editors than it does for
people who happen to be the topic of articles. BLP mostly seems to
focus on neutrality, verifiability and no original research. Some
additional privacy clauses might include:

(1) No publishing of personal contact information such as address or
a phone number if there is any objection by the person profiled.

(2) A presumption against publishing articles on people who have been
victims of stalking, in cases where publication of an article on
Wikipedia might subject them to additional harassment.

(3) A non-absolute presumption against publishing articles on minors.
By "non-absolute" I mean that this should be interpreted as one
factor but not the only factor in determining whether an article
should be published.

The code of ethics of the Society of Professional Journalists has
some provisions that might adapted for Wikipedia's purposes:

|  Subscribe to our free weekly list serve by visiting:
|  http://www.prwatch.org/cmd/subscribe_sotd.html
|
|  Donate now to support independent, public interest reporting:

https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/cmd/shop/
custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1107