[WikiEN-l] A further descent into self-referential idiocy

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 23:26:37 UTC 2007

On 6/5/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is *one* passing comment, made in response to my complaint,
> about a neutral article being a defensibly a "good thing", because
> then we get on top of the google results and it's better than the
> alternatives - I disagree with it, but it's a reasoned position.
> Otherwise... not a smidgen of editorial thought. Just an incantation
> of an article of faith, a slavish devotion to a meaningless line in
> the sand.

Your contention appears to be that every policy should be up for
rediscussion and renegotiation on every single AfD? Wouldn't it be
better to leave AfD for *application* of policy, and have the
philosophising at some central location? I'm not saying your arguments
aren't valid, but to accuse people of "slavishly" applying policy at a
place designed for the application of policy is unfair. That's what
they're supposed to be doing there.

> Are we really saying that *because we made up an arbitrary rule
> ourselves*, we get to ignore any form of editorial sense and then
> loudly disclaim responsibility for the result? Do people honestly

Kind of. Fix the policy.

Steve