[WikiEN-l] Thoughts on naming people - article content, this time.

The Mangoe the.mangoe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:30:38 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:
> Well, except that it's society that's not NPOV in this direction.  There's
> "LBGT studies" and "African American studies" and "gay cinema" and
> whatever else, which is just as much a reaction to the POV way society
> handled those groups previously.

Well, part of the point of those various "studies" is to "own" those
topics away from the "oppressing" majority. YMMV, of course.

I think there is a simple notability standard which could be applied:
has the religion/race/sexuality/whatever come up in public discourse
about the person? It seems to me that a lot of people are being tagged
whose ethnicity/etc. is at best a trivia point. Of course, that takes
us to all the "alumni" categories. Or the "from" categories: according
to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Kittleman

Robert H. Kittleman was "from" Nebraska and from Howard and Carroll
Counties, Maryland. (If you believe the article, he was actually born
in Omaha.) I suppose if you believe any of these kinds of categories
are legitimate, you can pretty well argue that all of them are
legitimate.