[WikiEN-l] Thoughts on naming people - article content, this time.

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:56:54 UTC 2007

There is another possible  approach -- that Jewish politicians are not
simple those  politicians who are in fact  Jewish, but politicians who
themselves consider that they are Jewish and say so
themselves--politicians who think of themselves as Jewish politicians.
 I'd use the same approach with all similar categories.  An
Irish-American politician is not an American politician with Irish
ancestry, but one who considers himself of Irish identity in the
political context.

There are several unmentioned problems in the background:
1/ people self-identify a Jewish but are not considered to be so by
some large portion of Jews, for example Messianic Jews ; some so
identify but are not considered Jewish by a s,a;l portion of Jews,
such as those who have been converted to Judaism by a non- Orthodox
rabbi.
2/ The desire of some people, usually Jews, to claim Jewish identity
for anyone famous who has Jewish background or ancestry regardless of
whether of not they so identify themselves.
3/ The desire of some people, usually anti-Semites, to consider people
they dislike, especially capitalists and left-wing politicians, to be
Jewish and--if apparently not Jewish--to be secret Jews and hiding the
fact.
4/ The fact that Jewish identity often has been and in some places
still is, a serious handicap or even a personal danger.

Similar things are true of other ethnic or religious or LGBT or other
group membership.
A gay author is an author who wishes to be known as gay. Whether or
not he is is not relevant, regardless of RSs about his sexual
behavior; --what we need RSs for, is his own statements of identity.

David Goodman DGG