[WikiEN-l] Badsites meets RFA meets... RfC

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Jun 3 19:03:40 UTC 2007

On 3 Jun 2007 at 19:08:00 +0100, Guy Chapman aka JzG
<guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Cla68
>
> Cla68 would like to open a debate on Wiki about this, seems eminently
> sensible, please feel free to pitch in.

I found it of interest, in the incident from December that this RfC
centers on, that Mantanmoreland was insisting that Cla68 be blocked
for making a mistaken accusation of sockpuppetry with regard to him
and another user (based on a misunderstanding of another message
thread), while Mantanmoreland himself is profligous with accusations
of sockpuppetry, meatpuppetry, and trolling with regard to people who
end up at odds with him in a dispute (he did some of that at the very
same time he was regarding it as an inexcusable offense to make that
sort of accusation at *him*).  He gets so much mileage out of the
fact that he was at one point trolled by "WordBomb" (an apparent
single-purpose trolling account that was banned after a very short
"career") that, if it were a frequent-flyer program, he'd have
several free trips already -- people who criticize him are likely to
end up on the receiving end of his accusations that they're a
"sock/meatpuppet of a banned user".

So I ask... is there a double standard on Wikipedia, where there's an
"untouchable" caste that gets to hurl accusations freely, but can
suppress anybody who does the same back at *them*?

--
== Dan ==