[WikiEN-l] Seriously, on BJAODN

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 2 21:35:23 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>> Then you should be able to show where the tag was put on each of these
>> articles, and thus establish by the diffs that the tags were indeed
>> there for several years.
>
> There is a link to the GFDL and [[Wikipedia:Copyrights]] at the end of
> every page.

Then why do we bother putting extra tags on images that are of disputed
fair use status?

This whole copyright argument is really a non-starter. Even in the cases
where there's _blatant_ copyright violation, as in a letter-for-letter
copy and paste from a webpage with a clear copyright notice in flaming
letters thirty feet high, the standard procedure as described on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright_problems is to simply
_blank_ the page and replace it with a {{copyvio}} template. The
article's history remains intact and accessible for at least 7 days
while the listing is on the copyright problems page.

The speedy deletion of BJAODN goes way beyond this process even though
it should be vastly _easier_ to resolve any potential copyright issues.
This is all stuff that was released under the GFDL at some point, all we
need to do is confirm its pedigree.