[WikiEN-l] Seriously, on BJAODN

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 18:22:24 UTC 2007

On 6/2/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Gracenotes wrote:
> > The way admins like to deal with copyright issues is delete, not
> > fix. This preferred solution means that free content wins the
> > bloody battle in The End. The only thing is, The End doesn't have
> > half a chance of coming soon.
> >
> > Write out a fair use rationale for a well-known album by a famous
> > band, or tag it with {{subst:dfu}} and thumb-twiddle for a week? I
> > dunno, which one can be done by a bot?
>
> So why not tag BJAODN and give it that week for editors to work on
> making it compliant? Since simply attributing the material would satisfy
> everyone, this can be done. The result would be to produce more free
> content, which is more of a "win" than a deleted wasteland, wouldn't you
> agree?

Some points to recognize:
A) BJAODN is not in the main namespace but in the Wikipedia namespace.
B) BJAODN is fracking huge.

We should be very reasonable in our expectations of time and effort
that editors need to exert to improve it.

In other words, editors should be given plenty of time and not have to
put in much effort.

It's fair to improve guidelines for submission, but it's absurd to say
"OKAY YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO FIX SOMETHING THAT'S BEEN AROUND FOR SIX
YEARS".