[WikiEN-l] [name of rouge adnim here]

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 17:18:12 UTC 2007

> On 6/2/07, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > test == text?
> >

> yes.
>
> > C'mon. You can look through the article histories to see who made the
> > submission in the original article.
>
> Not where there is no link back or the article has been deleted.

Actually, you *can* look through the article histories of deleted
content. You're an admin, ain't you?

Also, massive number of BJAODN entries are clearly short enough to
fall under any reasonable interpreation of fair use.

> > A reasonable interpretation of the GFDL as it applies to Wikipedia is
> > that it covers the entire corpus, not a single article.
>
> For various reasons we don't accept that interpretation (mostly
> because it creates issues with CC and FAL images).

One can be flexible in their interpretation of the GFDL; that is, our
policy towards images can and should be different than that towards
text.

> > It's also psychotic wikilawyering to take this seriously, since 95% of
> > BJAODN are deliberately anonymous contributions.
>
> GDFL requires credit. It doesn't state that credit must be to real name.

Again, that's psychotic wikilawyering.

> > This is perhaps the best example of copyright paranoia I've ever seen.
>
> Not paranoia. The GFDL has certain requirements. We should meet them.

We should. But this is absurd.

You can go back to the early days and see how I pressed Larry Sanger
to have us do a better job of adhering to the GFDL, so this is
particularly antagonizing.