[WikiEN-l] Blocking of Tor exit nodes

Slowking Man slowkingman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 09:49:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 19:05 -0600, Open Phugu wrote:
> I have created an account, on en.wikipedia.org, from
> a non-blocked IP. However, I am now using Tor, and almost
> all the exit nodes are blocked.

It may interest you to know that malicious users love using tor, since
it makes tracing them much more difficult. For instance, our latest
admin sockpuppeteer used it
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%
27_noticeboard#Runcorn_and_sockpuppets_banned), as did the person or
persons who cracked a few admin accounts some weeks ago. Taking this
into account, I would argue that the benefits to the project from
blocking tor far outweigh the negatives.

Blaming Wikipedia for denying access to Chinese users strikes me as
rather fallacious, since we're not the ones doing the blocking. A more
appropriate target for criticism would be the Chinese government.
--
Slowking Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Slowking_Man)