[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's a job?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 2 07:04:35 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:

>on 6/1/07 8:08 PM, Matt R at wrote:
>

>>Sure, the aim is to write an encyclopedia, and BJAODN perhaps wasn't the
>>funniest thing in the universe ever, but I think the project is becoming
>>increasingly humourless and bizarre these days.
>>

>You are absolutely right, Matt. You're talking about the Culture of WP; that
>issue that most everyone who participates in this List seems to want to
>avoid dealing with. Hours and hours of talk about 'spoilers', and 'badsites'
>and 'passwords', and 'copyrights', and (pick one); but anytime a post comes
>along mentioning the very culture we're trying to function in - it is met
>with silence. I wonder why?

I'm afraid that if it weren't for people dwelling emotionally on these
picayune topics, people in your profession would be in serious
competition with the legendary Maytag Repairman.

When we comment about the culture we live in we need to do so with a
great deal of introspection, and introspection puts into question the
assumptions upon which we build the certainty that underlays our other
views.  Nobody wants to confront his inner Sisyphus.

Ec