[WikiEN-l] So what was the outcome of the spoilerwar?

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 05:22:56 UTC 2007

The plot summaries you mention are not plot summaries used by reference
works. An encyclopedia  of 20th century literature is going to tell you that
George shoots Lenny. The back of the book will not. You seem to be comparing
apples (advertisements and eyecatchers wanting to hook you) with oranges
(reference works that are designed to actually be useful)

On 6/2/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/1/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's entirely unclear to me what "Plot summary" means if it doesn't
> > include the spoilerish bits. Separate headings "Plot summary without
> > spoilers" and "Spoilers"? Oh dear.
>
> This is so simple. Read the back of a DVD cover. Read a movie review
> in the paper. Read the blurb of a book. All contain a rough outline of
> the plot. They don't mention:
>
> a) What the outcome of the major plot climax is.
> b) Any secrets that change your understanding of the story, but that
> are only revealed at the end.
> c) The deaths of any major characters that take place late in the story.
>
> What's hard to get about that?
>
> Now, I'm not even suggesting that Wikipedia avoid mentioning these.
> But it's so incredibly easy to use spoiler tags judiciously. This
> wilful ignorance to understand is quite annoying.
>
> Example:
>
> ==Plot summary==
> In the story, John marries Susan, but they are separated as he is sent
> to war.<more plot describing his antics in the war, the adventures he
> gets up to etc >
>
> {{spoiler}}
> Ultimately, John's leg is blown off and he returns an amputee, only to
> find that Susan has married his  brother.
> {{end-spoiler}}
>
> ==Some other section==
>
> It's not complicated. It's not a slippery slope. Can we drop the
> childish attitude please?
>
> Steve

-Brock