[WikiEN-l] Wikias and transwiki

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 1 18:40:28 UTC 2007

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com wrote:

>A couple Final Fantasy fans have left WikiProject Final Fantasy due to our
>strict following of fictional policy and notability. A quote from  their
>private (yet public) attack of our project on one of their  talkpages:
>
>"We have a policy [at the Final Fantasy Wikia] against transwikiing, which
>used to be it was "strongly discouraged" so that good, original articles could
>be written from scratch and we didn't have to look like a bunch of thieves.
>But  now I'm thinking of prohibiting it entirely just because of the way
>Wikipedia  articles are written aren't suitable for an indepth Wiki like mine."
>
>Is this even allowed? Wikias are supposed to allow transwikied material in
>some manner; it's one of the whole points of Wikia. Especially when we get
>those  users who are clingy to their contributions (which is partially why these
>two  users are leaving) and leave when they get merged or deleted and rally
>among a  Wikia.

People involved in Wikipedia would be rightfully enraged if the
participants in a Wikia project insisted that they should have the right
to decide something for Wikipedia.  The same should apply in reverse.
The place to discuss this is on the facilities provided in connection
with Final Fantasy Wikia, not on Wikipedia.

Transwikied articles are nothing more than offerings from the
originating project where the participants are not expected to know the
rules of the receiving project.  So while it would not be appropriate to
block the addition of transwikied articles that are put there in good
faith, what happens to them after that point is entirely up to the
receiving project's rules, and that could conceivably include speedy
deletion.

Ec