[WikiEN-l] So what was the outcome of the spoilerwar?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 1 16:54:46 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

>Perhaps it's just me. I have been rereading stuff off Project
>Gutenberg and deliberately not reading the Wikipedia articles on the
>assumption the articles would, um, discuss the book encyclopedically,
>plot and all.

Perhaps Project Gutenberg should be encouraged to add spoiler warnings
on all its fictional content. :-)

>It's entirely unclear to me what "Plot summary" means if it doesn't
>include the spoilerish bits. Separate headings "Plot summary without
>spoilers" and "Spoilers"? Oh dear.

I wouldn't want to have a plot summary leave me guessing about the
ending of the book.  That's not being very comprehensive.  We are
providing a service for those who don't have time to read the whole
book, or who don't have time to track down a video of episode 87 out 173
that they just happened to have missed because they were on vacation
when it was shown.

In an era of instant gratification, are we the ones to be encouraging
hard work? ;-)

Ec