[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's a job?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 1 08:02:22 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Considering all the other more significant ways Wikipedia violates the
> letter of the GFDL with article merges and splits and even the
> occasional perversion of a "merge-and-delete" AfD result, does anyone
> honestly think we'd ever get in trouble for having hard-to-follow
> attribution for stuff stashed away on BJAODN?

It also just occurred to me that the same reasoning used for deleting
BJAODN (that copy-and-paste moves inherently break GFDL compliance) may
also apply to practically every talk page archive subpage on Wikipedia.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Archiving_a_talk_page> explicitly
describes how to do copy-and-paste moves, and I've seen at least one bot
out there that does copy-and-paste talk page archiving automatically.

Overly strict enforcement of detailed rules is a classic cause of
unintended consequences.