[WikiEN-l] Schools and Wikipedia

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 06:25:19 UTC 2007

> The school deserves credit for allowing the kids to use Wikipedia.  I
> hope the message gets back to them.

A friend of mine's 13 year old sister uses it so frequently, I don't
think she even bothers using any other sources for the myriad of
pointless "research projects" she's required to write. I've explained
to her the dangers of taking Wikipedia at face value, and the sheer
lunacy of attempting to plagiarise it. But mostly I mock her laziness
- she's mature enough to know better.

I have to say though, I was a little bit touched when she plagiarised
some text I wrote at [[Paris]]. An extremely indirect, 3rd-millennium
way of doing someone else's homework for them. If you actually think
about the technology that was required for that to happen, well, it's
rather mindblowing really.

Steve