[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri Jun 1 03:45:48 UTC 2007

jayjg wrote:
> Joe was a multiple sockpuppeteer who was indefinitely banned long ago
> by the Arbcom for linking to attack sites. I happened to be one of the
> Arbcom members involved in that decision. I'm sure his current level
> of vitriol has nothing whatsoever to do with those facts, and
> everything to do with his love for Wikipedia.
>
> As for Sheldon? I would imagine his interests lie with SourceWatch.

Ok.

Presuming for the moment that they are bad people who want to hurt
Wikipedia, I now understand even less why you wanted to have a long
on-list discussion with them, especially given the way you said you
aren't advocating any particular position on the topic.

The storm has apparently passed, and thanks for aiding that. But next
time you suspect people are participating in bad faith, perhaps you
should just let their posts flow on by. If they are trolling, then
there's no reason to feed them. And if they aren't, then mutual
suspicion can easily cause things to escalate out of control. Either
way, I don't think it helps you or the bystanders much.

Thanks,